Friday, February 7, 2020

Solving the Problem



I have displayed my idea for a solution to the unemployment of homeless individuals in Alachua county. My idea is to create a program that takes homeless people who either can't sustain a job due to their living conditions, don't have enough education, or other disparities in leading them to a sustainable source of income.  In this program, I would set up sponsorships and collaborations with trade experts in order to train these people in a field they would be interested in making money in.

This program would not only supervise the kind of work and where they work but also be responsible for a payroll system. I view it as a kind of agency for freelance workers. We would show them the opportunity, teach them about the workforce and workforce etiquette, and send them on apprenticeships with local trade workers to learn the trade. From there, people can call our business and request work to be done when they need it to be done. After that, we will choose one of our workers and send them to that job. Initially, we will take the money from the job and use it partially for-profit and partially for the payroll of the workers. On top of payroll, though, we will be helping those who succeed in the program find things like housing and resources to get necessities like clothes and food. I'm sure there are better ways to hash out the details but that's my rough idea for the project!

 I like helping a variety of people with one solution. So, we would help those who are homeless sustain a job and teach about workforce etiquette as well as helping other residents of Alachua county with work they need done and lowering rates of panhandling on the streets.

2 comments:

  1. I really like how you focused on finding a solution to helping those in need. After reading your post I looked into if there is a company that exists like this in Alachua county, and couldn’t find any good options. I know some cities have private companies that find temp jobs for people looking for work. There even used to be one back in my hometown that even owned a bus and people would show up in the morning and the bus would drop them off at places needing labor such as local business offices and construction sites. Many of these temp jobs would even lead to full time positions to people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenna,
    I think this is a great solution to the problem. You did a great job explaining it; however, I do not think it will be easy to find money to fund this program. You could maybe use college students as they would do almost anything for volunteer hours. This would really help Alachua county and depending on how successful the program is, you can start to implement it in other counties as well.

    ReplyDelete